All Types of Exercise is Beneficial
The exercise doesn’t need to be athletic or difficult. Studies have shown that simply walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes or more a few days a week can also lead to significant health improvements and can result in increased energy, and reduced risk to many serious diseases. Add simple strengthening exercises two or three times a week and the benefits are even greater.
The Many Health Benefits of Moderate Exercise
TheMayo Clinic Health Letter lists some of the benefits of 30 minutes of exercise a day:
- Increases energy and stamina: A lack of energy often results from inactivity, not age. Exercise can boost energy levels dramatically for people of all ages.
- Prevents cancer: Exercise has been shown to strengthen the immune system, improve circulation, reduce body fat and speed digestion. Each has a role in preventing cancer, particularly colon cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer and breast cancer.
- Improves Mood: Exercise may help reduce stress, improve mild-to-moderate depression and anxiety, improve sleep and boost moods.
- Manages weight: Coupling exercise with a healthy diet is the best way to shed fat and maintain a healthier body composition.
- Improves cholesterol: Exercise often increases the concentration of high-density lipoprotein (HDL or “good” cholesterol in the blood), especially when accompanied by weight loss. Exercise also helps reduce triglyceride levels.
- Lowers blood pressure: A reduction of 5 to 10 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) in your blood pressure is possible. In some cases, that’s enough to prevent or reduce the need for high blood pressure medications.
- Prevents or manages type 2 diabetes: Exercise helps insulin work better, lowering blood sugar.
- Prevents osteoporosis: Exercise may help reduce the risk to osteoporosis by increasing bone mineral density and protect against bone mass decline, especially if weight-bearing activities are involved.
About the Author Jeff Behar
Jeff Behar, MS, MBA is a well known author, champion natural bodybuilder, is a recognized health, fitness and nutrition expert, personal trainer, and life coach with over 30 years of experience in the health, fitness, bodybuilding, disease prevention, nutrition, and anti aging fields.
As a recognized health, fitness and nutrition expert, Jeff Behar has been featured on several radio shows, TV, and featured in popular bodybuilding publications such as Flex and Ironman. Jeff's work has appeared all across the web, in books, and in peer reviewed scientific journals.
Jeff Behar is also the founder of the very popular www.MuscleMagFitness.com and www.MyBesthealthPortal.com health and wellness information websites; two of the largest 24/7 online web portals providing 24/7 news and information regarding top health, fitness, disease prevention, diet, nutrition, natural healing, and anti aging issues that are being discussed today.