Walking and Health
Walking (also known as ambulation) is often recommend as part of weight loss programs, and as a way to help people reduce their risks to several disease and conditions, like: obesity, heart disease, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, ype 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, and metabolic syndrome, Walking can be a perfect low-impact, aerobic exercise with numerous health benefits.
Need Motivation to Start a Walking Program?
Here are 5 simple tips that can help motivate you to walk:
- Get a Walking Buddy. Keeping each other motivated no matter what the weather or other excuses is imperative. The conversation and coffee afterwards are great ways to make even a boring walk a lot of fun.
- Get New Fitness Gear. Noting is more motivating then getting some brand new walking shoes, a great walking outfit, or a new ipod to make the time go quickly. Pedometers, speed and heart rate monitors can also get you moving because we all want to know how far we walked, what our target heart rate is and how many calories we burned. Walking gadgets can make walking a little more fun and give you a reason to get out the door to achieve your next goal.
- Get Committed! Register for a Charity Walk or sign up for a fun run (no one says you need to run, you can walk instead). Making a goal or a commitment to walk is a definite motivator. By telling others you will be more likely to stay the path and will be more motivated towards your goal .
- Keep a Walking Journal. Keep track of your walking minutes, steps, or mileage in a walking journal. Total up each week to see how you are progressing. Set yourself a reasonable goal and you will find that attaining that goal will motivate you enough to maintain your walking schedule.
- Choose the Right Time and Have Fun! What is the best time to walk? Many people find that if they commit to early morning walks, there are fewer distractions as may commonly pop up in the afternoon or evening. But if you hate mornings and feel most energetic later in the day - that should be your walking time. To stay motivated, analyze your habits and choose the time that will work best for you.