Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet
Strictly speaking, the Master Cleanse Diet, not a fast but a liquid-diet detox/cleanse. The mental craving for food passes quickly, and while toxins may be 'stired up' temporarily, they also will pass out of the body quickly. The syrup provides all the nutrition you need, and so the body is not hungry. The liquid diet gives the digestive system a rest and begins the process of eliminating toxins that have built up due to improper diet, lack of exercise and negative mental attitudes.
Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet History
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet was developed by the late by the late Naturopath Stanley Burroughs decades ago as a detoxification and fasting program. Originally intended to rid the body of toxins and internal wastes brought on by "improper diet, lack of exercise, and negative mental attitude," it's now also touted as a quick weight loss plan. The diet plan has taken on new found popularity because of the rapid intial weight loss, and celebrity publicity from a few celebrtitys that have tried the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet for weight loss.
How the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Works
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet consisting of nothing more than a lemon juice concoction, is supposed to "help you lose up to 20 pounds, look younger, ease chronic pain, cleanse your body of internal waste, and boost your energy levels in 10 days."
You will lose weight on the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet because the fast creates a serious calorie deficit. But chances are, what you'll lose is water weight and muscle -- not the fat you want to get rid of.
During the fast, you can expect to feel hungry, and may experience headaches, fatigue, dizziness, sluggishness, diarrhea, nausea, or constipation.
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet: What you can Eat
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet calls for you to drink 6 or more servings daily of the lemonade drink. The only other options are a "salt water flush" of 2 teaspoons salt mixed in a quart of water in the morning, and an herbal laxative tea at night, if needed.
A single serving of the Master Cleanse drink consists of:
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons grade-B organic maple syrup.
- 1/10 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 10 ounces filtered water.
After following Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet fast for 4-14 days, dieters are urged to slowly ease back into solid food, starting with foods like vegetable soup, followed by fruits and vegetables.
What Food is not Allowed on the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet
No solid foods are allowed, nor are any supplements while following the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet . You consume only the Master Cleanse elixir to keep you hydrated
Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Benefits
The following are a list of touted health benefits that proponents of the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet say can be cured by following the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet:
- Flush out years of built up internal waste from your body: This can amount to 20 pounds or more of putrid fecal plaque, phlegm, mucus, and other waste
- The Master Cleanse is also used to lose weight: Recently singer/actress Beyonce Knowles announced that she used the Master Cleanse to lose 20 pounds for her role in the movie Dream Girls...
- You'll notice increased energy and focus: Are you always tired? Cleansing your body will recharge your cells and vital organs
- Washing away the effects of time: Having a body filled with waste doesn't just damage your internal organs, it also effects how you look. Doing the Master Cleanse can have a rejuvenating affect on your appearance - Forget about paying $1,000's for Botox just spend a few days on the Master Cleanse!
- Helps get rid of acne: Detoxing your body using the Master Cleanse is also one of the quickest ways I know of to clear up acne
Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Potential Risks
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet can be dangerous to your health. Nutritionists point out that the Master Cleanse diet plan is deficient in all the essential nutrients: calories, vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and fat. The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet can also damage intestinal flora creating digestive problems, and the lack of nutrition can also lower your immunity.
Another risk of rapid weight loss from following the The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet is the loss of lean muscle tissue. Without enough protein in the diet, your body must get protein from some other source, so the body burns its own muscle mass. At the end of the fast, the dieter will weigh less, but his or her body will be higher in fat and lower in muscle.The dieters metabilism will also be slower and result in greater weight gain after the fast is over.
Another problem with fasting planslike the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet is that many dieters eat everything in sight afterward.
"Whenever you follow an extremely restrictive diet plan, it is usually followed by an extreme binge," says Behar.
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet: What the Experts Say about the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet
American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Melinda Johnson, RD, doesn’t see anything positive about the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet.
"There is no scientific evidence that you need anything like this or any other detox program to cleanse your body or help you lose weight," she says.
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Lacks Nutrition for Energy
Experts also question how a diet consisting only of a low-calorie beverage can provide enough energy for normal bodily processes, let alone leave you feeling energized.
Of course, weight loss is inevitable when you stop eating and drink very few calories. But this kind of diet can also be dangerous to your health. Nutritionists point out that the the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Plan is deficient in all the essential nutrients: calories, vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and fat.
No Toxins Released from the the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet is supposed to "release years of built-up waste in just 10 days, while your energy soars."
Yet, experts point out, the liver already detoxifies the body. Further, there is no medical evidence that fasting or "cleansing" diets actually rid the body of any toxins not otherwise discarded in bodily waste.
"The suggestion that we are filled with toxins and undesirable substances that we can not rid ourselves from creates fear that drives people to these kinds of unsafe cleansing plans," says Jeff Behar, CEO of MyBestHealthPortal.com and popular nutrition, fitness and health author. "But in truth, our bodies naturally rid themselves of undesirable substances without any need for artificial cleansing."
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet is Potentially Dangerous
Experts agree that such unbalanced plans are not only ineffective, but are also potentially dangerous, depending on how long you stay on them. Fasting can rob your intestines of healthy bacteria that aid digestion and boost immunity.
Best Way to Benefit from the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet
Below are tips for those attempting the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet to get the most benefits possible while minimizing health risks.
- Do your homework – It can not be said enough. Do as much research as possible before attempting the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet. Read books, go to online forums, do whatever you can to educate yourself. Like with any diet, if you are serious enough to attempt to change your life for the better, you must be willing to sacrifice a little time to study about what you are doing.
- Ask questions – whether its an online forum or your doctor, make sure you ask plenty of questions and learn about other peoples experiences before taking on the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet detox. Make sure you are a prime candidate for getting the benefits of the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet and by doing so, minimize risks that you may not even know exists… until you ask someone.
- Follow the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet to a “T” – Absolutely do not cut corners! The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet was developed for a specific purpose to provide specific benefits. Do not cut corners and follow the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet to a “T”. Like with any diet, it is extremely important that you do not get careless and take your health seriously. This will also help you minimize any negative side-effects you may get by not following proper procedure with the diet.
Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet: Bottom Line
Fasting or cleansing plans are not recommended for anyone. The body does not need them. The best prescription for weight loss is cycling your calories, eating a healthy well balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, incorporating fiber into your diet, exercising daily, and burning more calories then you consume.
There's no evidence that purging your body of "toxins" improves your health or helps you lose weight. Keep looking for a weight loss plan that fits your lifestyle and is doable long term.
If you choose to follow the Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet plan, be sure to only do it for a few days -- and consult your doctor beforehand.
- Burroughs, Stanley (1976). The Master Cleanser. Burroughs Books. pp. 16–22, 25. ISBN 0963926209.
- Clarke, Jane (2006-01-24). "The nutritionist's view". The Times (London UK): pp. 4. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- Master Cleanse. Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse. Retrieved 2011-6-4
About the Author Jeff Behar
Jeff Behar, MS, MBA is a former natural bodybuuilding champion, well sought after personal; trainer and author with over 30 years of experience in the health, fitness, and bodybuilding fields. Behar regularly writes for several magazines about top health, fitness, disease prevention, diet, nutrition, natural healing, and anti aging issues that are being discussed today. He has authored over 1000 articles regarding health, fitness, nutrition, weight loss, and is the author of the best selling Ebook, Top 100 Superfoods - 100 Healthiest Foods on the Planet.
Jeff Behar is also the founder of www.MuscleMagFitness.com, www.MyBesthealthPortal.com , and www.MyBesthealthPortal.net, three very popular health and wellness information websites and social networking communities.