MiO ("mine," in Italian) is a zero-calorie, concentrated line of liquid flavorings, from Berry Pomegranate to Strawberry Watermelon, sold in sleek bottles that look like palm-sized water droplets.
According to the MiO ads, MiO is a liquid water enhancer that allows you to make your drink, your way. We tried MiO, and we agree: MiO does allow you to enhance your water and make your drink, your way.
MiO, a Big Splash for Kraft
For Kraft, the rollout of Mio is huge. It's Kraft's first new food or beverage category in more than 15 years. The last one was DiGiorno rising-crust pizza in 1995. Kraft believes MiO will rank among Kraft's biggest-ever product rollouts.
With the water marking being so huge, we believe Kraft has a potential blockbuster hit in MiO. Kraft already owns the very popular Crystal Light, and added Crystal Light “to go” single serving packaging a few years back.
MiO Not the First Liquid Water Enhancer to Hit the Market
MiO Competitors say Kraft is mimicking what several very small companies have already done in the area of liquid water enhancers. But unlike its predecessors, Kraft has distribution and marketing muscle to turn the MiO line into a force to be reckoned with.
Many believe that MiO may be so successful that it may cut into the sales of not just other water enhancing products, but bottled beverages, like Propel and others.
MiO Liquid Water Enhancer Highlights
- MiO is caffeine-free
- MiO is free of artificial flavors
- MiO is calorie free
- MiO is sugar free
- MiO is carbohydrate free and considered a free exchange
- MiO does not spike blood sugar levels
- MiO comes in six flavors
- You can add a little MiO Liquid Water Enhancer or a lot of MiO Liquid Water Enhancer to give the water the flavor intensity that suits your taste.
MiO Liquid Water Enhancer Flavors
MiO Liquid Water Enhancer has six flavors:
- Sweet Tea
- Peach Tea
- Mango Peach
- Berry Pomegranate
- Strawberry Watermelon
- Fruit Punch
MiO Liquid Water Enhancer Ingredients
MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake.
To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.
Propylene glycol is a common additive found in many products, such as frostings, candies, baked goods, and frozen desserts. It is considered by the FDA to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in foods. Propylene glycol is a component of the flavor in MiO Liquid Water Enhancer and helps to distribute the flavor evenly throughout the product.
MiO Liquid Water Enhancer Review
There are several reasons we like MiO Liquid Water Enhancer
- The number one reason, we don’t dig drinking plain old water. I understand how important it is to drink at least 12 glasses of water a day for good health (click here to read why you must drink enough water daily), but it has no taste. Now thanks to MiO, you can add flavor to your water easily, without compromising the health benefits of the water.
- Taste. MiO Liquid Water Enhancer tastes very good. A squirt of MiO and you get bold flavor. No after taste like many calorie-free beverages. I tried all six flavors and have absolutely nothing bad to say about any of them. My favorites: the Berry Pomegranate MiO and the Strawberry Watermelon MiO; both are amazing.
- MiO is made from natural ingredients. I definitely do not need to add any more chemicals into my diet.
- MiO is calorie free. MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that will not spike blood insulin levels or add inches to your waistline. Great for pre diabetics, diabetics, people watching their weight.
- The packaging. The MiO Liquid Water Enhancer bottles are tiny and have a flip lid. They are easy to carry with you!
- Cost. One bottle of the $3.99 MiO. Each small bottle allows you to create up to 24 eight oz. drinks at approximately 17 cents per serving.
- Flexibility. All you need is a squirt of the MiO Liquid Water Enhancer to give a full 8oz. glass of water a great, tasty flavor! You can add as much or as little as you desire.
What we do not like about Mio Liquid Water Enhancer
- Preservatives and artificial colorings. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings, including propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is a solvent used in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, inject able and topical formulations. It is also used in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. The Material Safety Data Sheet for propylene glycol warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage. Although the FDA says it is safe, we do not buy into the fact that propylene glycol is actually good for you.
If you can drink water without added flavoring, then we suggest doing so. However, if you hate water, and won’t use a splash of lemon or another natural ways to enhance its flavor, then MiO can be an alternative. I suggest going easy on it though, until there is more information on the safety of adding propylene glycol into your daily drinking habits.