- About me
- I have been helping people reach their health and fitness goals for over 15 years.
27 May 2017
Does Drinking Water Make You Lose Weight?
We have all heard about the benefits of water, but does drinking water make you lose weight? When a person sets a goal for weight loss, they often focus on counting calories and the kinds of food they are eating. However, if it is fat loss you desire, it is just as important to drink water as it is to counting the calories and the types of foods you are eating. In this post I’m going to talk about how drinking water can help increase your weight loss efforts and give you some tips on how to make sure you are drinking water every day.
Just How Does Drinking Water Help You Lose Weight?
1) Water Has Zero Calories: Water does not contain any calories so if you consume several glasses a day you will not have to worry about the impact on gaining weight. Also, by consuming water, you will be avoiding drinking those other high calorie, sugary, drinks like soda or fruit punch, which destroys your weight loss efforts.
2) Water Will Keep You Hydrated: There are several health issues that can occur from being dehydrated. It can also slow down the fat burning process and bring your metabolism to a halt. Therefore, by staying hydrated you will have your body burning the optimum number of calories it can burn throughout the day.
3) Keeps You Feeling Full: Drinking water can keep those cravings for unhealthy snacking away. Water can keep you from the in between meals snacking that can be a diet destroyer. It also has been shown that drinking water before a meal can have you consuming less calories because of the filling effects of water.
4 Tips On How To Make Sure You Drink Water Everyday
Drinking water everyday is not difficult to do bu for some people they have trouble achieving this goal. Here are four tips below that you can implement to make sure you are getting your water in each day.
1) Always Have A Water Bottle With You: Keeping a water bottle with you at all times can make sure you are getting enough water. Click here if you need a bottle that will last forever and keep your drink ice cold. Having a bottle with you at all times will give you a constant supply of water that you can sip through the day and easily refill.
2) Enjoy Some Hot Drinks Also: Black tea, green tea, coffee, and other hot drinks are an excellent sources of water and will give you some variety with your water intakes. Just watch out for the added stuff in some of these drinks. Green and black tea can also give you a boost of added nutrients.
3) Use Water Reminders: An easy way to remember to drink water is to set your phone up with an alert at various times a day. If you have trouble in remember to drink water, these reminders will help you remember to drink up. If you have trouble drinking it all at once, try sipping and set an alert at a time you should be finished.
4) Don’t Forget Fruits: One last way to make sure you get in enough water is to snack on healthy fruits. Most fruits contain over 50% water so by eating them, you will satisfy your appetite with a low calorie food. You will also get all the good health benefits eating fruits have.
So the question was does drinking water make you lose weight? The answer is a bit more complicated than yes or no because there are many other factors involved. The truth is, drinking water is a very important contributor to weight loss and with many other health benefits. So if you want to lose weight or just get healthier, drinking an adequate amount of water each day is vital to reaching your goals.
The post Does Drinking Water Make You Lose Weight? Water and Weight Loss appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
20 May 2017
Signs Of Dehydration In Adults
If you are someone who exercises often or just someone who sweats a bunch, you should know about the signs of dehydration in adults.
There are several things that will show signs of dehydration in adults. Dehydration can be caused by such things as not drinking enough, severe diarrhea, or excessive sweating.If you have mild or moderate dehydration, you can easily correct the problem by taking in more fluids. The problem gets serious when the dehydration becomes severe. This is when you may have to have IV fluids to correct the condition.
Signs and Symptoms of Mild To Moderate Dehydration
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirstiness
- Feeling sleepy or fatigued all the time
- Urine that Is more yellow than usual
- Having flaky or dry skin
- Headache from low blood volume
The Following Symptoms Of Severe Dehydration
- Lightheaded or very severe dizziness.
- Orthostatic hypotension – This is when your blood pressure drops severely, especially when you try to get back up after sitting or lying down.
- Increased heart rate as the heart is trying to compensate for low blood volume
- State of confusion
- Falling Into a coma
- Life threatening extreme shock
Dehydration can sometimes just sneak up on, especially if you are highly engaged in an activity or are in a sickened state. As soon as you start to feel any symptoms, you should start to hydrate yourself.
Mild To Moderate Dehydration Treatment
Mild symptoms can be taken care of by drinking more fluids Water is one of the best choices for treating dehydration. Other great choices can include sports drinks such as Gatorade or PowerAde. These drinks will also give you electrolytes, which can be lost in sweating, diarrhea, or vomiting. If your symptoms are from being sick, your doctor can prescribe some anti-nausea medication.
Treating Dehydration That Is Severe
If you are suffering from severe dehydration or showing some of the symptoms of severe dehydration that are listed above, you may want to go to the hospital. Severe dehydration will need IV fluid intake. IV fluids will help restore your electrolyte balance. IV fluids contain a sugar and salt solution that contain the needed electrolytes. It may just take as little as a liter of IV fluid to start to eliminate the dehydration symptoms or as much as 5 or more liters of IV fluids to help.
Severe Dehydration Complications
One of the main complications of severe dehydration that can happen, besides having seizures, is the damage that can be done to the kidneys. The kidneys need fluid to flush tubules and if there is no fluid, kidney failure is something that can happen. The kidneys, without fluid, can shut down and only go back to normal functioning with the careful replacement of the much needed fluids. Time in replacing the fluids is important also. If you try and replace the fluids too fast, cerebral edema and electrolyte disturbance within the brain can occur.
One way to avoid these horrible consequences is to drink water on a regular basis. This can be easily done when you always have access to water. Try and keep a water bottle close to you at all times, whether it be at work or at home. Carry a smaller one with you in your bag and refill it throughout the day. I hope you now have a better understanding on the signs of dehydration in adults and take the necessary steps to prevent it from happening.
The post Signs Of Dehydration In Adults: What You Need To Know appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
13 May 2017
Unlock Your Hip Flexors Product Review
This product is probably one of the most unique products that have come out in a while, so I decided to write the Unlock Your Hip Flexors Product Review.
While most of the weight loss and fitness products available are about exercise or diet, Unlock Your Hip Flexors, is about having more energy and even about losing weight by the loosening of tight hip flexor muscles.
The truth is, most people have never even heard about hip flexors, never mind increasing their flexibility. That has not stopped people from purchasing the product by the look of the number of sales.
In fact, this product is one of the top seller’s online and has many satisfied customers. This has been true now for a couple years. If you checked the official site, you will find many positive testimonials from people who are benefiting from this.
The product was created by Rick Kaselj and Mike Westerdal. Unlock Your Hip Flexors delivers a promise to have you feeling more energetic and performing everyday activities easier. It will only take 15 minutes out of your day to implement.
True, these are some bold claims but people who have been using these methods do swear by them and this is why the product is a top seller. So, you are probably wondering just what are hip flexors?
This is understandable as these muscles are never really talked about. The hip flexor muscles are extremely important as they are involved in most activities like stepping, bending, twisting, walking, and more.
It is when these muscles are tight that these activities become harder and harder to perform.
Having tight hip flexors can cause such problems as:
- Tight Hips-Increase Anxiety Levels
- Weak Immune System
- Joint Pain
- Circulatory Issues
- Walking Difficulties
- Loss of Sexual Desire
- Bad Posture
- Digestive Issues
- Insomnia and Poor Sleep Quality
These symptoms are experienced by so many people all over the world that the relation to tight hips is never really considered. But the fact is they could be related. If you have relaxed and flexible hip flexors, you will feel more energetic.
Lets take a look at the good points and the bad points of this product and see if it lives up to the claims.
The Good Points:
- Let’s first take a look at the price. When you look at the price, it is actually cheaper than having to go visit the doctor. It is very affordable and the information is easy to follow and very detailed.
- There isn’t a need to spend hours upon hours on exercises. It actually will just take 10-15 minutes out of your day. This can easily be done at home or really just about anywhere.
- It doesn’t matter what your fitness level is as it works for beginners as well as the athlete. The information provided will have you reducing any stiffness you have and give you more flexibility.
- You may notice that pain in several areas such as the back, neck, and shoulders will slowly disappear when you unlock your hip flexors. These are all related to having tight psoas muscles.
- The developers of Unlock Your Hip Flexors have a bunch of fitness experience and are professionals in their field. They are well respected and trusted.
- The product also comes with a 60-day money back guarantee when you purchase this product. So, you can always ask for a refund if you feel this isn’t for you.
The Bad Points:
- It does take some time to start to get the benefits. The results aren’t overnight. Actually, these techniques should take about 3 weeks to start seeing improvements. The problem is most people are impatient and give up before that. You have to be consistent to see results, but the results are worth it.
- This product is only available online. You must have a computer and the internet to download it. Of course, it can be printed once you download it.
Should You Try It? Yes, this is an excellent guide.
Stretching and flexibility is usually neglected due to our sedentary lifestyle. Even if you are an avid exerciser, chances are that your flexibility has been neglected.
The exercises don’t take much time and are simple to do. By following this guide, your body will become healthier and more agile. This can help with the prevention of many health problems and help the aging process be a less painful one.
If you suffer from not being able to sleep or have pain issues that can’t be explained, it is worth trying Unlock Your Hip Flexors. Having the backing of the refund policy, you have pretty much nothing to lose. I hope my Unlock Your Hip Flexors Product Review gives you an understanding of the product.
Get it started today. You’ll be very happy you did.
Reduce Back Pain with This Hip Flexor Stretch
The post Unlock Your Hip Flexors Product Review: Should You Get It? appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
6 May 2017
Understanding Your Protein Needed Per Day Requirements
The subject of how much protein needed per day has been debated in the world of health and fitness for what seems forever now. If you listen to some bodybuilders they believe that you should be taking in as much as you can for muscle growth. On the flip side, other health enthusiasts believe that protein should be limited and not every meal has to have protein in it. In this post I am going to look at both sides of the spectrum and hopefully give you a better understanding of how much protein you should eat in a day.
The Argument For A High Protein Diet
Along with carbohydrates and fats, protein, is one of the three main nutrients your body needs for survival. It is responsible for maintaining, repairing, and building all of your body’s cells along with other essential functions such as:
- Keeping Vital Organs Healthy
- Boosting Your Immune System
- Helps Build Muscle
- Keeping An Optimal Metabolism
- Supports Healthy Digestion
Those in favor of eating a high protein diet believe that this is the best way to build muscles, burn fat, and keep a lean body. They also believe that not taking in enough protein will prevent you from gaining muscle, lessens fat burning, and also will prevent you from performing at your best.
The Argument For A Low Protein Diet
There have been studies to show that consuming large amounts of protein can have negative effects on your health. This is especially true if you are sedentary. Taking in more protein than your body can handle can lead to such things as:
- Increased body fat
- Weak Bones
- Kidney Stones
People who believe that a low protein diet is better feel that there is little health benefit to eating more protein. Consuming less protein will have them avoiding the complications listed above.
Finding The Right Balance
Just like many things in life, balance is the key when it comes to eating protein. If you follow these simple rules below, you will be able to balance your consumption of protein and enjoy the health benefits without the risk.
The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight, or 0.80 grams per kilogram. The recommended amount of protein for the sedentary man is 56 grams and for the sedentary women it is 46 grams. If you are involved in fitness or are very active, this is where the debate begins.
At least 10-35% of the calories you take in a day should come from protein. It is important to make sure you do not go as high as 70% of your calories from protein.
If your exercise routine consists of mainly cardiovascular exercise, the try to keep your consumption on the middle to lower end of the scale.
If strength training is more of your exercise of choice and want to build more muscle, keep your protein consumption towards the higher end of the scale.
What About Protein Supplements?
When it comes to supplements, protein such as whey protein, have become a big industry. Many people will replace meals with supplements or just take in a shake to try and increase the amount of protein they get to build muscle. You should always try and get your nutrients from healthy eating, but in today’s busy schedules, some find it necessary to take in some protein supplements. This of course is of personal preference and if it helps you get your nutrients at a time you can’t get in some food, then I see no issue with it.
If you want a great place to buy whey protein, click here!
The answer to the question of how much protein needed per day is actually very flexible. The amount that you need will depend on many things, such as activity levels and will mainly depend on your fitness goals. As long as you are not going to extreme levels with your protein intake, in either direction, you should benefit from this important nutrient without any health risk.
The post Protein Needed Per Day: The How Much Protein Debate appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
29 Apr 2017
Starchy Vegetables To Avoid For Weight Loss
If weight loss is your goal, you should know about these 5 starchy vegetables that can hurt your weight loss efforts. It is true, when it comes to weight loss, not all vegetables are created equal.
Starchy vegetables for instance, are high in carbohydrates and are a rich source of energy. However, consuming these vegetables in large amounts can have you gaining weight if you are not using up the stored energy. Lack of activity will convert the energy to fat.
Starchy vegetables aren’t neccessarily bad for you. When you consume the proper amount they are nutritous, filling, and healthy. Today, I will discuss five starchy vegetables that are healthy but can ruin your weight loss efforts if you eat too much.
Let’s first talk about portion sizes.
An important and often overlooked factor of weight loss, is portion size. A half cup of vegetables is often the recommended serving size. There are many who really don’t know what a half cup looks like which leads them to consume more. A good way to understand portion size would be relating a half cup to the size of a cupped palm and one cup equivalent to your fist. Ok, so now on to the list.
5 Starchy Vegetables To Watch Out For
1- Green Peas
There are about 30 grams of carbohydrates in one cup of green peas. What this means is that you will be getting 20% of your carbohydrate intake if you are on 150 carbohydrates per day, and 30% if you are taking in 100 grams of carbohydrates.
2 – Parsnips
You will be getting about 26 grams of carbohydrates in one cup of boiled, drained parsnips. This means on a 150 gram a day carbohydrate diet, you will be getting 17% of your daily intake, and 26% if you are taking in 100 grams of carbs a day.
3 – Yams
You will be getting 37grams of carbohydrates in one cup of cubed yams that are boiled and drained with no salt, or baked without salt. This is equal to 25% of your carbohydrate daily intake if you are eating 150 grams of carbohydrates per day, and 37% if you are eating 100 grams of carbs per day.
4 – Corn
There are about 41 grams of carbohydrates in one cup of corn bolied and drained without salt. This is around 27% of your carbohydrate allowance of 150 grams of carbohydrates per day, and 41% if you are eating just 100 grams of carbs per day.
5 – Black Beans
There are many health benefits of eating black beans in moderation. It is smart to eat black beans when you are trying to lose weight because of all the healthy nutrition they have. However, you will get 41 grams of carbohydrates in one cup of black beans that are bolied and drained without salt. You really need to make sure of your portion size here.
If you are trying to lose weight, think of the ratio of carbohydrates to portion size of the food you are about to eat.
The problem with these 5 starchy carbs, when trying to lose weight, is that there are a lot of carbohydrates in such a small portion size. If you break down all the carbohydrates in all the food you eat in a day, you will see how easily and quickly you will meet the daily number of carbohydrates you are trying to stay within.
It is very important when trying to lose weight to track the food you eat to make sure you are staying on track in all aspects of nutrition. Carbohydrates should never be eliminated from any diet as it is our main source of energy. That being said, taking in too many carbohydrates without burning them off will have them converted into fat.
So, if weight loss is your goal, just remember to reach for the fruits and vegetables that are lower in carbohydrates and stay active.
The post Warning: These 5 Starchy Vegetables Can Hurt Your Weight Loss Efforts appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
22 Apr 2017
Bodyweight Leg Exercises
If you are looking to strengthen and tone your legs, these 5 bodyweight leg exercises will get you great results. Strong legs will give you a stable foundation for every exercise you do, the importance of training them regularly can’t be stated enough. In this post, I will give you five great bodyweight leg exercises that you can add to your routine or do alone.
1 – Bodyweight Squat
This classic exercise, the bodyweight squat, is a compound exercise that will work all your leg muscles. To do the bodyweight squat, follow the steps below:
- 1. With your feet shoulder width apart, stand straight with your arms out in front of you.
- 2. Lower your body down by bending your legs slowly, stop when your butt and knees are in line.
- 3. Raise your body back up by slowly straightening your legs bringing you back to the starting position.
- 4. Perform these steps for as many reps as you can.
2 – Pistol Squat
A more challenging variation of the bodyweight squat, the pistol squat, will really test your leg strength and balance. To do the pistol squat, follow the steps below:
- 1. With your arms in front of your chest, stand up straight, raise your left leg out in front of you while maintaining your balance.
- 2. Lower your body down by slowly bending your right leg, stop when your right knee and butt are in line.
- 3. Raise your body back up by slowly straightening your right leg and returning to the starting position.
- 4. Perform these steps for as many reps as you can do.
- 5. Repeat the steps on the other leg.
3 – Jump Squat
This explosive exercise, the jump squat, is exactly like the bodyweight squat with the addition of a jump at the end. To do the jump squat, follow the steps below:
- 1. With your feet shoulder width apart, stand up straight and place your arms out straight in front of you.
- 2. Lower your body down by slowly bending your legs, stopping when your knees are in line with your butt.
- 3. Raise your body back up by slowly straightening your legs, return to the starting position and jump as high as you can in the air.
- 4. Perform these steps for as many reps as you can do.
4 – Forward Lunge
The forwar lunge, using a stepping motion, will target all the leg muscles. To do the forward lunge, follow the steps below:
- 1. Standing straight, place your hands on your hips.
- 2. With your left leg, take a big step forward, and slowly bend both your knees stopping before they touch the ground.
- 3. Step back to the starting position by slowly straightening both knees.
- 4. Repeat the steps with your right leg.
- 5. Perform these steps for as many reps as you can do.
5 – Single Leg Hip Thrust
A great exercise that really targets your glutes is the single leg hip thrust. To do the single leg hip thrust, follow the steps below:
- 1. Sitting with your upper back on a chair or bench, keep your lower back straight and your knees at a 90 degree angle.
- 2. Keep your knee bent and raise your right leg in the air and lower your butt down close to the ground stopping before it touches it.
- 3. Bring your butt back up, stopping when you straighten your lower back again.
- 4. Perform these steps for as many reps as you can do.
- 5. Repeat the process using your left leg.
These five bodyweight leg exercises are a great way to strengthen and tone your legs. If you want to get the most out of these exercises, do them a couple times a week, making sure to rest your legs a few days in between. Also, try to add variety by increasing your reps you do, or switching the amount of rest in between each rep.
The post 5 Bodyweight Leg Exercises That Will Get You Results appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
17 Apr 2017
Healthy Snack Foods For Dieting
For many trying to lose weight, finding healthy snack foods for dieting can make a big difference in having success or not.
Does this sound familiar? You find yourself exercising regularly and eating healthy meals but in those moments between meals when you get hungry, you reach for unhealthy snacks. This little moment of weakness ends up destroying your weight loss goals. In this article I will share with you some tips on how not to let snacking destroy your fat loss efforts and 5 healthy snacking ideas to try.
How Not To Snack Away Your Fat Loss Efforts
1) Snack Only When You’re Hungry
One reason, often not talked about on how people gain weight, is because of the unhealthy snacking that is done between meals. There are a few reasons for this happening but two of the main culprits are because people are either bored or it has become a habit. A good example of this would be the habit of always snacking when watching TV. As a result, many extra unwanted calories are consumed, even if you aren’t really hungry.
So the next time you have the urge to snack, stop yourself and really give it some thought. Decide if you are really actually hungry or if you are just bored. Once you find the reason, you can tackle the problem.
2) Avoid All Processed Snacks
Another big mistake people make when snacking is reaching for the unhealthy, processed snacks. If you make sure your breakfast, lunch, and dinners are filled with healthy, natural ingredients, then why wouldn’t you want the same for your snacks? If you are snacking on a bag of chips while watching your favorite show, you can easily take in a days worth of unwanted fat calories, without even realizing it. You can easily ruin your healthy eating day in the time you are enjoying your show.
A good way you can avoid this is to prepare some healthy snacks in advance so when the cravings for a snack occur, you’ll have access to nutrient, healthy snacks. I have a list below that you can try.
3) Stop Drinking Soda
One final diet destroyer is reaching for a soda to quench your thirst. This is no doubt one of the most popular diet destroyers that many people have.
Adding in a couple glasses of soda each day will give you a whopping amount of extra unwanted calories to your weekly intake. If you think diet soda is better because it has less calories, you are mistaken. Diet soda is loaded with sugar, sugar substitutes, and chemicals, that are very detrimental to your health.
The good news is that there are plenty of low calorie, healthy, replacements to soda available. Regular water has zero calories, is refreshing, and keeps you hydrated. Tea and Coffee also have low calories and are a good option if you want a hot drink.
5 Tasty Healthy Snack Suggestions
As I mentioned before, it is good practice to prepare some healthy snacks. I have listed below 5 tasty and simple healthy snack foods for dieting that you can try:
1) Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: If you want a healthy alternative to chips, chili roasted pumpkin seeds are an excellent choice. To make it, you can follow the recipe here. You can then place equal amounts of chili roasted pumpkin seeds into small bags to have a healthy snack readily available.
2) Honey Roasted Peanuts: This protein packed snack is sweet and will definitely satisfy your cravings. You can follow the recipe here. Split the nuts up equally and store them in seperate bags, making a healthy snack available at all times.
3) Hummus & Carrot Sticks: Carrots are loaded with vitamins A & K and health boosting fiber. Dipping them in hummus will give you a creamy flavor that is very satisfying. Here is how to prepare carrot sticks and hummus. Take a small carrot and chop it into sticks, along with a small pot of hummus, place them into a container. Whenever you feeel hungry, dip the carrot sticks into the hummus and enjoy!
4) Blueberries & Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and healthy fats while blueberries are high in vitamin C and fiber. All you have to do to prepare this is combine a half cup of blueberries with a cup of Greek yogurt. Place in a container and you have it whenever you are hungry.
5) Homemade Fruit Salad: Low calories and packed with health boosting vitamins and minerals, fruit salad is a healthy snack. To make your own fruit salad, combine a cup of your favorite fruit juice with three of your favorite fruits and place in a container. You will have it easily available whenever you want a snack.
Finding healthy snack foods for dieting can often be diifficult, leading to the eating of unhealthy snacks. I hope some of these healthier snacks I have listed can help you stay on track and crush your cravings. So if snacking has become a weight loss weakness, follow some of the tips listed above and turn your unhealthy snacking into a healthy habit today.
The post 5 Healthy Snack Foods For Dieting: Good Snack Foods To Try appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
9 Apr 2017
5 Ways Get More Calories Burned Daily
In today’s busy world, we may not have the time to exercise as much as we like, so here are some ways to increase your calories burned daily. Sometimes all it takes is a little creativity and a strong desire to effectively incorporate more calorie burning into your daily routine, no matter how busy you may be. In today’s article I will provide you with five simple but effective ways to increase the amount of calories you can burn in your day.
1. Dont Stay Still For Long
Many of us spend our days seated in the same position for hours at a time, sometimes not even realizing how sedentary we have become. It is important to break up these periods with regular bursts of short activity. This will get your blood pumping into your muscles, burning more calories, and increasing your cardiovascular fitness. If it is a must to sit at your work, a standing work desk station may help.
2. Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated is a simple but very effective way you can actually burn more calories. The reason for this is the fact that drinking enough water will have your metabolism functioning at its highest ability. Staying well hydrated can also make sure you have the energy to make it through your workout. This will give you the opportunity to burn as many calories you can in your workout.
3. Stay Active When Watching TV
It is important to not have a long period of downtime and to try and stay active as much as you can. For example, if it is your routine to watch TV for several hours every night, try and break it up. A quick 5 minute cardio workout can be performed with each commercial. A quick set of jumping jacks, mountain climbers, or burpees, will have those calories burning in a short period of time.
If you ar big into video games, you can still burn calories. Try purchasing some fitness video games, and have fun burning calories. You may even get other family or friends involved. By doing this, you can easily add to your calorie burning.
4. Always Use The Stairs
While we are usually always in a rush, it is important to avoid any escalator or elevator, and choose to take the stairs instead. Taking the stairs is a great way to add some cardio into your day as it is a great calorie burning activity. If you did an extra 10 minutes of stairs a day, this will give you over an hour extra of cardio in your week.
5. Cycle or Walk When You Can
One last way you can burn more calories is to walk or cycle whenever you have the chance. It is often routine to jump into the car to make the short trip to the corner store when it could easily be done by walking or cycling. By choosing to walk and leave the car home, you will be able to get outside, increase your vitamin D levels, and get some instant calorie burning cardio.
As you can see, it insn’t that hard to find ways to increase your calories burned daily. So if you just don’t have the time to hit the gym, start adding these five tips and start increasing the amount of calories you burn in your day.
The post 5 Ways You Can Increase Your Calories Burned Daily appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
1 Apr 2017
Eating An Avocado Everyday? 6 Reasons You Should Be
Are you eating an avocado everyday? We have learned growing up that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but so may avocados! Avocados, once just thought of as something we added to salad or ate as a dip, may just be healthier than we thought. They contain healthy fats and other nutrients that have them now being called a “superfood”. Here are 6 reasons you should start eating avocado everyday.
Avocados Are Loaded With Nutrients
The list of vitamins and minerals in avocados is a quite lengthy one. There are well over 2 dozen vitamins, minerals, and healthy nutrients. This list includes beta-carotene, lutein, fiber, folate, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Smaller amounts of nutrients such as, zinc, manganese, iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin A, vitamin B1, B2 and B3, are also found in avocados.
Better Heart Health
Anytime you can improve the most important muscle in your body, the heart, it should be considered. The diet of today is loaded with saturated fats that clogs arteries and leads to heart disease. Eating avocados are not only heart-healthy but they taste delicious. The natural plant sterol, beta-sitosteral, can be found in avocados. This plant sterol has been shown to help in the lowering of bad cholesterol giving you better heart health.
Protect Your Vision
Avocados have also been shown to have possible positive effects on your vision. Several age-related eye conditions can be helped or avoided with eating a healthy diet. Avocados contain phytochemicals like lutein and zeaxanthin, which will help give you antioxidant protection to the eye tissues. This will help protect your eyes from such things as damaging UV light and age-related problems.
High In Potassium
When people are looking to add potassium to their diet, bananas are often their first choice. True, bananas are a great option, but avocados are actually higher in potassium than the yellow fruit. You can get 100 grams of potassium in a small 3.5 ounce serving of avocado. This comes out to around 14% of the RDA, while a banana will give you about 10%. With the added potassium, you can lower blood pressure, lower your risk for stroke, and lower your risk of a heart attack.
Better Nutrition Absorbtion
If you eat a diet that contains many plant foods, all though healthy, you may not be getting the full amount of nutrients. The reason for this is because some nutrients are fat soluble, which means they need an appropriate fat source to have your body absorb them. Avocados contain these fat soluble nutrients including antioxidants and vitamins K,E, D, and A.
Help With Losing Weight
This is the one that many people want to hear. Avocado’s contain the healthy monounsaturated fats, oleic acid. This type of fats can be used by your body as a slow burning energy source better than if it used saturated fat. Monosaturated fats have shown to provide better glycemic and insulin sensitivity control. This is a major factor in weight gain and also the development of diabetes. Avocados can help you feel full and cruch those cravings for diet destroying snacks. Avocados are a bit higher in calories than most fruits so you should be aware of the amount and alter the size you eat accordingly.
I hope you see that eating an avocado everyday can give you several health benefits. There are several ways to add avocados into your diet. Avocados can be eating plain, used as a dip, or put in a salad or soup. It doesn’t matter how you eat it, just make eating an avocado every day a part of your daily routine.
The post Are You Eating An Avocado Everyday? 6 Reasons You Should Be appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.
25 Mar 2017
Why Are Almonds Good For You?
I am sure by now you have heard about nuts and how they can benefit your health, but just why are almonds good for you? Almonds are actually one of the healthiest nuts. They have plenty of nutrients and have many of the health benefits we all need. Here is a list of 5 good reasons you should be eating almonds.
Almonds Are Loaded With Vitamins and Minerals
First, since health is the most important thing to focus on, let’s talk about all the nutrients you get when you eat almonds. In just an ounce, or about a handful, almonds will give you 3.5 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and only 14 grams of fat. The fats in almonds are actually the good variety that we should be eating. Eating almonds will deliver to your body much needed nutrients such as magnesium, manganese, vitamin B2, phosporus, copper, and vitamin E.
Improved Brain Function
When it comes to brain function, almonds can give your brain the nutrients it needs to stay functioning healthy at any stage of your life. There are several issues with brain health, such as memory loss, lack of concentration, the ability to focus on tasks, that we all will deal with as we age. The nutrients riboflavin and l-cartinine, that are contained in almonds, can help improve brain function.
Almonds can have an effect on the cholesterol levels in your body. Cholesterol consists of good and bad types. Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) is the type you want to lower and high-density lipoproteins (HDL) are the types to increase. The nutrients in almonds can give you more of the good cholesterol and less of the bad cholesterol.
Cardiovascular Disease Protection
Cardiovascular disease is one of the leading contributors to the nations health problems. It leads to heart disease, which can cause a heart attack or a stroke. A healthy diet is one of the ways of avoiding cardiovascular problems and eating a diet that includes almonds is a great way to start. A great thing about almonds is that they can easily be added into your diet. You can eat almonds as a snack, have it in your yogurt, or add it to a salad. You can also crush them up to give you even more choices of things you can add them too.
Increased Energy Levels
The final reason on this list why almonds are good for you is the natural energy it gives you. There are multiple nutrients in almonds that can give you a natural boost in energy. These nutrients are copper, manganese, and ribolflavin. This increase in energy will have you accomplishing more during the day and having the motivation for an important workout. The importance of including exercise into your life is well documented whether it be for weight loss or just general health.
Why are almonds good for you? There are many health benefits and these five listed are just a start. Try to choose almonds that are raw in their natural casing because the less processing that is done to almonds the better.
I hope you have a better understanding why they are and start adding them into your diet today. A healthy diet and consistent exercise is the key to achieving better health.
The post Why Are Almonds Good For You? 5 Health Benefits of Almonds appeared first on Exercise and Nutrition Tips.